10 Quick Things You Can Do to Prepare for Winter
“When it snows, she has no fear for her household” (Proverbs 31:21).
With experience growing up in Central Minnesota, the Nobel Prize-winning novelist Sinclair Lewis once said, “Winter is not a season; it’s an occupation.” While northerners may grow weary over the winter months of the work involved with snow removal and winter driving, making sure you and your homeschool family are ready for the coldest season doesn’t have to be difficult. Here are 10 quick things you can do to adequately prepare for winter:
1. Run gas out of the lawn mower and pick up all leaves/yard debris.
2. Clean gutters and downspouts.
3. Disconnect hoses from outside faucets and turn off the water.
4. Prepare a winter survival kit.
5. Caulk or apply weather-stripping or insulation around draft areas by doors, windows, and outlets.
6. Program your thermostat.
7. Replace the filter in your furnace.
8. Close vents in unused rooms.
9. Reverse the direction of all ceiling fans.
10. Clean your fireplace and chimney.