"And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4).
If you're a homeschool mom, you've probably experienced the feeling of being unappreciated by the world, right? Imagine then, what your husband must feel like as he quietly contributes to your family's homeschooling day. Even though you get some credit for doing the majority of teaching, he usually receives no recognition at all. He remains unnoticed by both friends and family (sometimes his own). Perhaps it is time to consider some of the ways he faithfully supports your children's educational success, such as the following:
• Providing the working capital to keep your school from going in the red. Because of his hard-earned income, you are able to buy curriculum and go on field trips.
• Being the substitute teacher who gives you a breather. Without the extra support of reading stories, practicing spelling words, or teaching a particular subject area, you would certainly burn out as a 24/7 mom and teacher.
• Serving as principal of the school. Knowing that Dad is waiting to talk to them will provide that added discipline needed to curtail even the most disruptive or disrespectful child.
• Supplying an endless array of shop classes that will benefit your child later in life. Lessons in carpentry, mechanics, or plumbing will save your child the expense of having to pay for these services when he is an adult.
• Being the spiritual leader who guides your children into the most important truths they will ever learn — God loves them and sent His Son, Jesus, to be their Savior.
This Christmas, have your children show appreciation to their father. Why not give him the praise that's due and thank him for all his sacrificial acts of service and love with a thoughtful card or gift? Make this Scripture true in his life: "As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them" (Psalm 127:4-5a).
Lord, forgive me for taking my husband for granted and not acknowledging his homeschooling efforts as I should. Thank You for the countless hours of love and support he provides every day. In Jesus' name, Amen.