Wonderful Winter Field Trips
When the cold weather strikes, most of us just want to stay bundled up in the house. Even though the temperature drops, there are still plenty of exciting winter adventures to be had! Beat cabin fever and escape your homeschool room for a day with these 10 wonderful winter field trips.
1. Aquariums. Have the ocean come to you at a local aquarium. Your children will have a blast exploring a vast array of underwater creatures. Give them more than just an adventure by incorporating lessons about coral reef, habitats, the food web, oil pollution, and more.
2. Historical Buildings. Whether it’s a designated landmark or notable home, history comes to life when you’re able to visit the places where it actually happened.
3. Factories or Businesses. Tour a local factory or business and give your children a behind-the-scenes look at how things are made or jobs are performed.
4. Indoor Play Centers. Find a local play area near you to burn some off some energy. Some popular options are trampoline parks, ninja gyms, arcades, and indoor playgrounds.
5. Art & Pottery Studios. Get in touch with your child’s artistic side and paint a canvas or sculpt with clay. Don’t forget to check the studio’s calendar for special events or activities.
6. Botanical Gardens. Find a list of indoor conservatories near you and explore nature without being outside in the cold.
7. Museums. There are a ton of different types of museums that make learning fun. A quick Google search should pull up a list of art galleries, state, children, and science museums, and even planetariums.
8. Local Government Buildings. Take the civics lesson one step further with a trip to your local courthouse, or a city or state government building.
9. Plays or Performances. Look for high school plays, music performances for children, dance performances, and more.
10. Ski Lodges. Learn about the winter Olympics and enjoy a few snow sports with a trip to a ski lodge. If you live in or near an area that gets snow, enjoy the fresh air
More Fun Winter Field Trip Ideas
Go see an Imax movie.
Take a virtual field trip.
Visit an ice skating rink.
Tour a civil service station, local farm, or post office.
Explore a zoo.
Discover local nature center or wildlife area.
Find a local cavern or cave to explore.
Go to the library for story time.
Head to your local YMCA.