17 Statements of Gratitude
While it’s easy at Thanksgiving to be grateful for our blessings and bountiful harvests, author Cindy McMenamin provides 17 statements of gratitude that help remind us to “be thankful in all circumstances” (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
1. Thank you, God, for the times You have said "no." They have helped me depend on You so much more.
2. Thank you, God, for unanswered prayer. It reminds me that You know what's best for me, even when my opinion differs from Yours.
3. Thank You, Lord, for the things you have withheld from me. You have protected me from what I may never realize.
4. Thank You, God, for the doors You have closed. They have prevented me from going where You would rather not have me go.
5. Thank you, Lord, for the physical pain You've allowed in my life. It has helped me more closely relate to Your sufferings on my behalf.
6. Thank you, Lord, for the alone times in my life. Those times have forced me to lean in closer to You.
7. Thank you, God, for the uncertainties I've experienced. They have deepened my trust in You.
8. Thank You, Lord, for the times You came through for me when I didn't even know I needed a rescue.
9. Thank You, Lord, for the losses I have experienced. They have been a reminder that You are my greatest gain.
10. Thank You, God, for the tears I have shed. They have kept my heart soft and moldable.
11. Thank You, God, for the times I haven't been able to control my circumstances. They have reminded me that You are sovereign and on the throne.
12. Thank You, God, for those people in my life whom You have called home to be with You. Their absence from this earth keeps my heart longing for heaven.
13. Thank You, God, that I have an inheritance in the heavenly places...something that this world can never steal from me and I could never selfishly squander.
14. Thank You, God, for the greatest gift You could ever give me: forgiveness through Your perfect Son's death on the cross.
15. Thank You, God, for the righteousness You credited toward me, through the death and resurrection of Jesus. It's a righteousness I could never earn or attain on my own.
16. Thank You, Father, that You know me, You hear me, and You see my tears. Remind me through difficult times that You are God, You are on the throne, and You are eternally good.
17. And thank You, Lord, not only for my eternal salvation, but for the salvation You afford every day of my life as You save me from myself, my foolishness, my own limited insights, and my frailties in light of Your power and strength.