DIY Solar S’mores Cooker
Science has never been so tasty! Make your own solar oven as a science project with your kids. Then, enjoy a tasty treat that’s perfect for a hot summer day!
Stick (you can also use a small wooden dowel, pencil, or stick from your yard!)
1. Cover the inside of your box with black paper.
2. Cut a three-sided slot on the top of your box, creating a flap you can fold up. The flap should be big enough that all the s’mores you intend to cook can be seen when you open the slot.
3. Cover the flap with aluminum foil. The smoother you can make it, the better! The foil acts like a mirror to reflect the sun into the box.
4. Cover the hole with plastic wrap. This helps the s’mores to cook faster because of the greenhouse effect.
5. Prop your flap up with the stick of your choosing. If your stick doesn’t want to stay in place, make indents where the ends of the stick meet the box.
6. For best results, preheat your solar oven by placing the open side of the box in the direction of the sun. After 20 or so minutes, place your marshmallows into the box sitting on a graham cracker. Depending on where you live, the marshmallow may take up to an hour to be fully cooked, so here’s where your patience comes in handy.Note: Do not put the chocolate in yet as the chocolate will melt very fast!
7. When the marshmallows are squishy and melty, add a piece of chocolate and the top graham cracker. Bon appétit!
You May Also Enjoy
6 Simple S'more Recipes Your Kids Will Love