Star-Spangled Banner Trivia
The lyrics to our nation’s beloved national anthem are well-known, but do you know the history behind the music? Celebrate the 90th anniversary of “The Star-Spangled Banner” and test your knowledge about the patriotic song that’s been our national anthem since March 3, 1931.
O say can you…answer these 11 trivia questions?
1. What year was “The Star-Spangled Banner” written?
2. Who wrote “The Star-Spangled Banner?”
3. What was the author’s profession?
4. What historical event was occurring when the national anthem was written?
5. What was the original name of the song?
6. What was the melody assigned to “The Star-Spangled Banner?”
7. After what war did “The Star-Spangled Banner” gain deeper meaning as the American flag became an increasingly powerful symbol of national unity?
8. What year did “The Star-Spangled Banner” make its sporting event debut?
9. What sporting event was occurring when “The Star-Spangled” Banner made its sporting event debut?
10. How many verses does the national anthem actually have?
11. What infamous spelling mistake did the original sheet music contain?
2. Francis Scott Key
4. The War of 1812
5. “Defense of Fort M’Henry”
6. The melody was from a popular English drinking song called “To Anacreon in Heaven.”
7. The Civil War
9. The World Series (Game 1) between the Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox
11. The subtitle of the song originally contained the misprint “A Pariotic Song”